The main agenda was to update the Local Chief Executive on the status of joints projects in the municipality implemented through the years. DOST Leyte Provincial S&T Director Dr. John Glenn Ocaña presented the updates on the DOST8-LGU Palo Collaborative Projects, such as:
1. Common Service Facility for DOST FNRI-Developed Complementary Food Products (Brgy. Pawing, Palo, Leyte);
2. CSF for Nutritious Baked Products - A Compliment Facility for DOST Sulong PINOY Implementation in Leyte (originally with Brgy. Salvacion now transferred to Cabarasan Daku Beneficiaries Association to gain more economic impact);
3. Common Service Facility for Buko - Cassava Pie Processing in Palo, Leyte (with the Salvacion Women's Association at Brgy. Guindapunan); and,
4. Technology Center for Soya Milk Processing in Palo, Leyte (with Tzu Chi Foundation beneficiaries with the plant located at Brgy. Guindapunan)
Dr. Ocaña also discussed the new projects with the LGU implemented during the administration of Former Palo Mayor Hon. Frances Ann Petilla, such as:
1. Technology Business Incubator (TBI) for Start-up Technopreneurs hosted by Saint Paul School of Professional Studies (SPSPS). Last year, the TBI assisted 10 inbucatees which was also provided with financial assistance by the LGU. This year, the TBI assisted 28 incubatees, all in food processing.
2. Technology Upgrading Support to the Printing Services Livelihood Project of BLGU Guindapunan, Palo, Leyte
3. Rainfall and Stormwater runoff management TECHnology for
tropical climate (RainS-TECH) which will be conducted by De La Salle University in Palo, Leyte in collaboration with EVSU, DOST8 & DOST Leyte. The proposed project aims to develop innovative systems, practices, technologies and techniques that utilize and mimic the natural processes for the management of rainfall and stormwater runoff in pre-developed to post-developed tropical watersheds in order to conserve and protect the water resources, environment and aquatic habitat, enhance ecosystem services (ES), provide services to the ecosystems (S2E) and address land use change and climate change impacts by means of using empirical and modeling approaches towards building sustainable and resilient cities and communities.
The meeting concluded with the discussion on how to realize the conversion of Palo into a Science Town. The idea was put forth by then DOST Secretary Hon. Fortunato T. De la Peña, when he led the DOST Executive Committee visit Leyte last March 24-26, 2022. One of the landmark projects of DOST8 / DOST Leyte hosted by the LGU is the Eastern Visayas Science Centrum. Because of this, Mayor Petilla is set to lead the creation of the region's Science Tourism Industry, to be piloted in the Province of Leyte, in collaboration with the Department of Tourism RO8 thru RD Karen Santiago Tiopes. The initial meeting this concern will held on 26 July 2022.
NEWS & ARTICLES
Check Other Posts
Government Agency Partners
Presided by its Chairperson DOST8 Regional Director Ernesto M. Granada, the Regional Research Development and Innovation Committee held its 4th Quarter meeting on 5 November 2020 with the presentation of iSTART program by Dr. John Glenn Ocaña as one of its agenda. The Committee also approved for endorsement to SDC-RDC the Joint PEZA and BiPSU Special Economic Zone Institute presented by Dr. Victor Cañezo, Jr., President of BiPSU.